- Promise direct reports that they will replace you. There are no promises, just opportunities.
- Drive the Succession Plan alone. Collaborate with your high potential employees to create the best strategy to grow them toward your goal.
- Forget to ask your boss and customers about the candidates and get their feedback.
- Leverage the same techniques from Onboarding to help identify potential candidates for succession and encourage them to build their own Career / Leadership Development Plan. The TriMetrix reports will be critical here as well.
- If you have no qualified candidates, consider hiring at a lower level to develop.
- Think of opportunities to expose your high potential team members to the different levels of your work. Can they do the project read-out in front of the Executive Committee? Can they onboard new employees? Can they speak at company gatherings and trade-shows?
- Review your Succession Plan with your boss on a regular basis.