- Wellness involves a set of skills and strategies that prevent the onset or shorten the duration of illness and promote recovery and well-being.
- Wellness is more than an absence of disease. It involves general, mental and social well-being. And mental health is an essential component of overall health and well-being. The fact is our overall well-being is tied to the balance that exists between our emotional, physical, spiritual and mental health.
- Whatever our situation, we are all at risk of stress given the demands of daily life. Steps that build and maintain well-being and help us all achieve wellness involve a balanced diet, regular exercise, enough sleep, a sense of self-worth, development of coping skills that promote resiliency, emotional awareness, and connections to family, friends and community.
- These steps should be complemented by taking stock of one's well-being through regular mental health checkups and screenings. Just as we check our blood pressure and get cancer screenings, it's a good idea to take periodic reading of our emotional well-being.
- Fully embracing the concept of wellness not only improves health in the mind, body and spirit, but also maximizes one's potential to lead a full and productive life. Using strategies that promote resiliency and strengthen mental health lead to improved general health and a healthier society: greater academic achievement by our children, a more productive economy, and families that stay together.
Wellness - it's essential to living a full and productive life. It's about keeping healthy and getting healthy.