Work is different and it changes everything we do, not just how we get projects done. Terence Brake says "We have the new business game: boundaries disappearing, constant and unpredictable change, new competitors emerging all the time, unpredictability, complexity, and staggering ambiguity. To succeed in this new world, organizations must learn to be agile, innovative, technologically smart, and highly adaptable." How do people change the way they work to adapt to the new business game? They can be called upon to work with anyone, anywhere, at any time and from any device—across a city, country or even across continents. Terence recently wrote a free e-book on the borderless workplace (available for free download). He shares:
Think honestly about how well you demonstrate a borderless way of thinking and doing. Here are six questions to get you started:
- Do I invest time in networking beyond my current work boundaries?
- Do I share my knowledge and ideas with others freely?
- Do I stay open to learning from anyone, anywhere?
- Do I create shared understandings across borders?
- Do I build and maintain trusting relationships over distances through technology?
- Do I practice both/and versus either/or thinking?