Each of us is unique and impossible to fully define. The paradox - each of us has reactions, joys and worries that are very similar to everyone else. As one of my new fave authors Stephen Pressfield writes:
"The individual experiences a calling. To art, to service, to honorable sacrifice. In other words, positive aspiration. A dream. A vision of the higher self he or she might be. The intimation of this calling is followed immediately, as we know, by the apparition of Resistance. The dragon rears its head. Fear. Self-doubt. Self-sabotage."
That's a daunting thought. The YOU wants YOU to be great and is also really terrified. You decide to take the risk to be great or stress will pester you. Truthfully, even if you decide to be great, stress will pester you. The good news - you have the power to choose your fight and thoughts. You can build this muscle.
My daily life doesn't seem very valiant as I struggle with emptying my INBOX, logging my receipts, or having difficult conversations I'm avoiding. These are the dragons we all fight, standing between us and greatness. The more it scares us, the more important it is. The micro decisions we make each day sum into greatness.
I recently listened to the book Full Steam Ahead by Ken Blanchard and Jesse Stoner. My take away: if you really value something, you create structure in your life to support it. If you don't, it's not a value. For example, if I value health and don't prioritize time to eat well, sleep and exercise, it's inconsistent. If I value my greatness, I'll figure out how to get there.
As we finish up the summer days, it's a great time to step back from the churn and grab our power back. We're in training for our full lives. These ideas, taken from our workshops, may help you begin to accept your power:
- Stress is a message. What problem is it bringing to your attention?
- All your worries and problems have one thing in common - you.
- How can you re-flow your thoughts to accept that you are part of the problem and solution?
- How can you prioritize the structures / time needed to live your values?
- What is the negative voice telling you in your head right now? Challenge the truth. Rebuild the thought.
- Never mind half full or half empty - pick out a brand new glass!
Other ways to keep the momentum going as you move from victim to victor include:
- ASTD's EQ Essentials three-part webinar starring Renie McClay, author / speaker / super chick beginning 9/13 Learn More / Register
- Stress is Heavy: Lighten Up two-day instructor-led workshop starring Karl Mulle, co-author of Putting Emotional Intelligence to Work held at the Indianapolis Children's Museum 11/21-22/13 Learn More / Register
- Power of You four-part web series designed to help you build a personal plan to be the person your dog thinks you are will begin 9/23. Learn More / Register
As always, talk with Brittney about a custom solution for your team. email@example.com