In his book A Whole New Mind, Pink encourages the development of the six senses for the Conceptual Age. According to Pink, these six high-concept, high-touch senses can help develop the mind this era demands:
...Not just function but also DESIGN.
...Not just argument but also STORY.
...Not just focus but also SYMPHONY.
...Not just logic but also EMPATHY.
...Not just seriousness but also PLAY.
...Not just accumulation but also MEANING.
eLearning developers can take a cue from the six aptitudes and use it as a guide in developing learning. We need to ask these questions:
- Are our designs emotionally engaging or are we just designing to comply with functionality?
- Are our stories compelling and persuasive or are they argumentative and dogmatic?
- Are our storylines "symphonic", capable of reaching and providing the big picture or are they merely stating a synthesis or an analysis?
- Do our themes encourage empathy and help people interconnect?
- Are we taking advantage of gamification and interactive technology in order to make elearning more appealing, engaging and entertaining?
- Are we motivated by mere financial or political gains or are we moved by our passion to teach and become innovators in elearning?