This month's contest is in tribute to all our children who have been stressing over standardize tests, SATs and ACTs. Let's see how much you remember about proper grammar. This is from a great resources for writing www.upwritepress.com:
Sometimes it's the little things that trip us up, and that also goes for little words. Consider the tiny indefinite articles a and an. Test yourself below, choosing the right word from the pair in parentheses.
- Did you see (a, an) small dog run by here?
- Brenton waited patiently for (a, an) opening to give his pitch.
- Ms. Taft was called upon by (a, an) union representative.
- My instructor handed me (a, an) history textbook for the class.
- The footnote came from (a, an) historical reference.