- Don't forget how and why you win. Don't forget how and why you lose.
- Pressure is the view you created.
- Watch eye contact. Lack of eye contact is a problem.
- There's a big difference between ambition and aspiration. Ambition is about the individual; aspiration is about the team. Ambitious team members override and limit the team.
- Surround yourself with people who are demanding but not demeaning.
- Courage must be greater than your fear (of others, of self, of success, etc.)
- The chemistry of the leadership team determines the chemistry of the team itself.
Carol Dweck differentiates between a Fixed Mindset and Growth Mindset and sees these as drivers that enable discipline, hard work and success.
There's lots of discussion currently about every kid getting a reward for anything they do. Carol Dweck has done fascinating research on leading children into a disciplined life. Look at the use of these words below. I see how I have been using positive labels with my children, team and learners that imply judgment. I intend to build a memory bank of the questions on the right.
A. You are clever, you should be able to figure out how to get us out of this hole.
B. Show me what you think we can do to improve.
In August, we'll complete the discussion of The Mind of Coach Tom Crean with these ideas:
• Small Bites of AH HA
• Handling Your Critics / Quitting
• Moving On
In the meantime, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this newsletter. Share on the Russell Martin & Associates Facebook and LinkedIn page or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org