Leaders have people 360 degrees around them trying to grab their time. Good leaders know how to prioritize. Here are a few tips:
- (in honor of Star Ways…) Obi-Wan Kenobi them (ask questions, resist answer/tell).
- Treat people as unique. Take them from where they are to where they can go.
- Leaders mentor and coach, they do not DO. This is such a difficult thing when your whole career has been around checking off work.
- Regardless of where you are in the hierarchy (or Scrum), be aware of the wake of others. Stay out of others’ drama. We all have choices – we each make our own choices, and as leader, we can’t choose for someone else.
- Provide questions and feedback to guide and steer and be prepared to coach quickly if the choices made are not moving the person toward a successful outcome.
Strategic Leadership: A Simulation
IT Leadership Bootcamp: 4 Part In-Person Experience
The Power of You: Leveraging EQ, April Maryland ATD chapter